Wednesday, April 4, 2012

God, I Pray


This is the latest poem by Jesse Stiemann, and in my opinion, his finest work yet. 



Just God, I come before Thee,
In quietness, on bended knee,
I beg Thee, in Christ Thy Son,
As in heav’n, Thy will here be done.

Tear from me this sinful flesh,
Restore to me a heart afresh,
Give me mind to love Thy law;
The ice upon my cold heart thaw.

Daily do I praise Thy name,
Nightly do I enact the same,
Daily still do I offend,
Nightly still Thy law I rend.

Were it only law I break,
T’would  not render my soul to shake,
‘Tis Thy wrath that trembles me,
For I offend a God holy.

Give my heart to do Thy will,
Preserve me in Thy Spirit still,
Give the new man now to win,
O’er the old man, who seeks to sin.

Father, make me to walk well,
Keep my feet off the path to hell,
Be the lamp unto my feet,
Light up my path, ‘til we shalt meet.

For I am fool, this I know,
I walk as blind, my own way go,
For Thy way is best, ‘tis wise,
Grant me to see this with my eyes.

I know Thy way, it is best,
But behave not at Thy behest,
Grant me to follow Thee now,
Make mine will unto Thy plan bow.

I am blindness, give me sight,
I am darkness, give me Thy light,
I am hatred, grant me love;
Grant me unto Thy courts above!

How long, Lord, shall I remain?
How long in this world wrought insane?
Nay, I must not think this way!
For my brothers, ‘tis better I stay.

God, I pray, make me Thy Son,
Make plain in me Thy vic’try won,
Make Christ in me to increase,
God, I pray, the sin in me cease.

No comments:

Post a Comment