Friday, March 9, 2012

Down to Reign: A Poem by Jesse Stiemann





Jesse Stiemann




Authorial Note: I sought to write a poem, and so, a few weeks back, I ventured forth into the night, and was surrounded by fog. I thought of God's grace, and of His hand leading me out of my wicked ways into salvation, and thus began crafting a poem. As I walked, I pondered the imagery of a Psalm, sinking down, and thought up the poem from that perspective. This is the fruit of God's grace through my gift.








As I sink into the mire,
Dark surrounds, my straights are dire,
Sinking further in decay,
There is here no other way.






I was walking blind before,
Now I know that all the more,
No path before, no path behind,
No path to heal my broken mind.






As I sink, I start to mope,
What then could inspire my hope?
I lay here while foes surround,
Now I only lose more ground.






Now what is this, this strange light?
It comes bold, and gives me sight,
Driving all my foes away,
It comes to me; Light of Day.






Inside darkness, full of pain,
There I lay, worth no one’s gain,
A wretched sight, still he nears,
From above, breaking my fears.






Down he comes into the mire,
Here he comes; my hope inspire,
Rescues me amid my foes,
Light of Light, from darkness goes.






Too bright to see where he brings,
In my ears, a great song rings;
“Holy, holy, holy,” cry,
I am with the Holy Tri.






The Spirit takes my cold heart,
Stone shatters, breaking apart,    


Giv’n a heart to do God’s will;
A heart of flesh, beating still.






Jesus stands in front of me,
Father looks, the God-man see,
He says, “I send you back now,
To that earth where I saved thou.






Do not fret, oh my good son,
The battle, yes, has been won;
Man has crushed the serpent’s head,
And evil shall soon be dead.






I send you back now, to that place,
Be my son, and bear My face,
Be not alone, for I shall give,
The Spirit to you; go, live.”






Now I go down to the mire,
Light of light; a burning fire,
Bring life to lost, in their pain,
Until He comes down to reign.

No comments:

Post a Comment