Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Game Over?


Post by: Daniel Avery





         

Shoot the gun, dodge the bullet. Swing the sword, block the blade. Jump over the brick, avoid the dragon. Most video games resemble the same style of a city, nation, or planet, on the cusp of destruction, locked in a viscous battle, and in the midst of the chaos is a lone character. Chosen by some higher power or in possession of a unique skill, the hero charges onto the front lines to save the day. That kind of heroism and battling are only found in video games or your ancient history text books right? Wrong! As Christians, we need to realize the current status of the world and take heed to Scripture and charge onto the front lines of battle.



Whether you realize it or not, mankind is locked in a battle with Satan, and victory is only assured through Christ. A friend of mine made me realize how often the world wants a Savior. Movies, video games, even some music, all talk about a world or person in peril and how it is up to a lone person to step up to the front lines and become the savior. Our world is infatuated with a savior, yet we are blind to the true Savior. Super Mario is the most well-known video game in all of video game history. You can probably go up to anyone and ask them if they’ve heard of Super Mario, his brother Luigi and their pet dinosaur, Yoshi and they will give you a sarcastic, “Of course! Who hasn’t?!”



In the game, Princess Peach is captured by the villainous monster called Bowser, and it’s up to Mario to lead his brother and their pet to save the queen from certain doom. They travel many levels across the computer generated world in hopes of defeating Bowser’s massive army of ghosts, goblins, gumbas and more, until they finally complete the last castle and defeat Bowser and rescue Princess Peach, only to find that in the next game she is captured again.



But that’s beside the point. The point is, Mario is portrayed as the magnificent savior, a savior that everyone loves and admires. Another example of a savior like character is Link from the video game, The Legend of Zelda, where Princess Zelda is captured by Ganon and his evil forces known as the Gerudo in their plot to take over the land Hyrule and soon the world. Link is the archenemy of Ganon, and is sworn to protect the princess and all of Hyrule. He puts on his armor, grabs his shield, sheaths his weapon, and heads out into the front lines to rescue the princess and defend the world from the evil armies who are encroaching on the lands. The world is so captivated by these two fictional heroes, yet are blind to the reality of their message-Christ is the true and only Savior, and we live in a world that is in constant battle with Satan.



This cosmic battle between mankind and the legions of evil has been going on since the fall of Adam. But Christ will overcome Satan, He is the Savior of the world. At the Cross, Christ has already dealt the winning blow to Satan, but just like any other video game or movie, there is still a long way to go until the battle is completely won. The entire planet is held hostage like Princess Peach, or Princess Zelda, and we Christians are like them. By ourselves we are defenseless against the forces of evil that assail us, and it is up to Christ to rescue His bride, the Church.



“You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.” Exodus 20:5-6



Here Moses is explaining that God has a divine jealousy for us, His bride. It is not one of envy but of protection. Christ is jealous for what belongs to Him, the Church. Like any other savior, God comes down to defend His chosen people, those whom He elected to dwell in His kingdom.



“The LORD is the strength of His people; He is the saving refuge of His anointed.” Psalm 28:8



Now you may be asking why I’m saying this, or what does this have to do with you, a Christian, “charging to the front lines” as I stated earlier. Well, as Christians we may be Christ’s bride, needing to be saved, like Princess Peach is saved by Mario, but we are not called to just sit idly by and wait either. God does not tell us to wait patiently and do nothing. In fact, He does the opposite. God calls us to spread His Holy Word, to defend the weak and destroy the demons.



“For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control. Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of His own purpose and grace, which He gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.” 2 Timothy 1:7-10



A favorite video game of mine is the series known as Dawn of War. The most recent game of this series that came out is called Space Marine. You play as one of the soldiers fighting an alien infested planet that was once held by the humans, but lost to the ravenous creatures of death. The reason I probably enjoyed these games so much when I was young was because I liked imagining myself as one of the soldiers, fighting for the Emperor, saving humanity from almost certain destruction. Here is a brief overview of this game for those who do not know it. Dawn of War is set far into the future, and in this grim future there is one thing and one thing only, war. Sounds like a dark game doesn’t it? In one sense you could be right, but in the eyes of a boy, this game wasn’t filled with darkness as much as it was hope. The Emperor was portrayed as almost a god-like figure, that guided and led the genetically enhanced soldiers whom the Emperor had chosen. These Space Marines charged out onto the front lines of any battle chanting a fearsome cry, “In the Name of the Emperor!” They fought and died for their faith to the Emperor, proclaiming his name in an attempt to secure peace for all humanity. You may not realize the severity of the action since this is just a video game I’m talking about, but you can relate it to war, real marines charging out into battle for their country. These fictional Space Marines were true warriors, and possessed a fury or zeal like none other for their Emperor. I remember it now, hearing the chants and battle cries as these formidable men called out to their brothers in the heat of battle to keep their spirits high. “There is only the Emperor, and he is our shield and protector!” Imagine that, how close that is to reality as a Christian? There is only one God, and He is our shield and protector, “What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?” Romans 8:31. Playing this game when I was young, I’d remember getting nervous and almost scared, when I was losing the battles, but my heart would become calm as these warriors shouted in the game, “Fear denies faith!” Our fear as Christians denies what God has planned for us; we live in fear, fear of the world and of it’s persecution when we shouldn’t fear it, but charge after it.



“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” Psalm 23:4



“The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh, my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will be confident.” Psalm 27:1-3



There are many verses I can pull from Scripture, but those few give you, dear reader, a small taste of what God’s Holy infallible Word says about fear. The Space Marines didn’t fear any one due to their fervent faith, but that didn’t mean they weren’t protected either. To paint you a picture of these Marines, they were genetically altered soldiers, chosen by the Emperor. They were battle hardened, and wore massive metal plated armor which kept the lasers, axes, gun fire and any other assortment of assaults that besieged these troops from harming them. On the arms of this magnificent armor, they proudly wore the symbol of their great leader into battle. In turn, we as Christians should not fear anything Satan tries to throw at us, for we have the armor of God as our protection and His word as our weapon and we should proudly wear them.



“Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints.” Ephesians 6:10-18



Wow, what a powerful message the Apostle Paul writes to not only the Church in Ephesus, but to every Christian. We do not need to be afraid, for He is with us. We do not need to run, for we have His armor. We must stand firm in our faith and preach the Gospel.



Another awesome symbolism this game offers to Christians is from the chant, “The Emperor guides my blade.” In the game you hear these courageous soldiers say this chant, calmly, and without hesitation or fear. A brief history, though this is a game set in the future, they do not only use weapons you’d assume most futuristic fictional games would. They make this game to be as bloody as it can be, in order to portray the true meaning of war. On top of the lasers, huge rifles, and all other assortment of fictional assault weapons, these battle ready troops carry war axes, chain-swords, hammers, and knives. They fight to the death with all their might in their struggle against the darkness. So when they say that the Emperor, is “guiding their blades in battle,” they say that with calmness knowing it to be true. How many Christians can calmly say in the heat of spiritual warfare that the Holy Spirit is guiding them? How many of us can have peace in our hearts knowing that He directs our swords?



“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” Psalm 119:105



“For you are my rock and my fortress; and for your name’s sake you lead me and guide me.” Psalm 31:3



“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you.” Psalm 32:8



“This God is our God for ever and ever; He will guide forever.” Psalm 48:14



God is our sovereign creator, maker of all things, and He has promised to be our rock and foundation, to be our protector and salvation. What do we have to fear? For He will guide us, has given us the armor for protection, and promised never to forsake us. What an awesome God we have, though we have rejected Him, sinned against Him, despised Him; He sent His Son to die for the sake of our salvation. I pray that message never ceases to surprise me, and always leave me completely humbled.



The last point I wish to make regarding the symbolism of this amazing game, is a final chant of these fearsome Space Marines that every Christian should relate to.



“It is better to die for the Emperor than to live for yourself.”



What a statement that is, to say it is better to die for the Emperor than live for yourself. That goes against almost every ounce of our nature, but, you know what? It is true for every Christian. It is better for us to die preaching the gospel for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, than to live for ourselves. But how many of us, me included, live our pathetic lives trying to please ourselves, rather than trying to please our Creator? How many of us try to do what we want, when we want, rather than what God wants? How many of us are afraid of persecution for preaching His Word, when that’s exactly what we’re called to do!? Dear reader, I am preaching this to myself as much as I am you. I’m no expert level warrior, I too struggle between doing what God wants and what I want. Our calling is in-fact to spread the gospel! Not sit in a safety bubble of Christianity, built up for our own self worth and gratification! What most Christians do not realize is that mankind, this world, is in a cosmic battle between Satan and God. I once did not realize this fact myself. I lived life thinking being a Christian didn’t require me to do many intimidating, fearful things. Sure, I knew that I would be persecuted for following God, and that I must follow Scripture and God’s instructions for His people, but I didn’t think I would have to venture out from my safety bubble that I constructed. Things like street preaching, going out and sharing the Gospel with people, standing firm for unborn children who are being murdered. I convinced myself I didn’t have to do it, because others would just do it instead. That was the wrong kind of thought for me to have, it is the wrong kind of thought for any Christian to have. It is wrong to think that we can sit in a safety bubble we’ve created, go to church, have our prayer meetings, and read the Bible daily. Though those are all good and required of Christians, it is also required to BE ON FIRE FOR THE GOSPEL! We must die to our self and live for Him in a righteous fury.



“For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it.” Mark 8:35



“I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20



“And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.” Galatians 5:24



“And he said to all, ‘If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. For what does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.’” Luke 9:23-26



We must deny ourselves and raise Him up. Now, dear reader, you may be asking what kind of battle fields I am talking about. Well, I’ll tell you. You can turn on the news, look at a website, or even look out your front window and tell this world is saturated with sin. There are many people who are not being spoken too about the gospel, there are many women murdering unborn life. There are many children growing up in a world where they have to bring a knife to school for protection. There are kids growing up without a family, and even if some do have a family, the majority of them are broken. Yes, this world is deep with sin, and there are many battle fields we can be called to. We see these events taking place and yet sit idly by, thinking that someone else will step in when in reality, that someone needs to be you and me. We can not keep looking at our world and hoping it will fix itself, our duty as Christians is to follow God’s commandments and Christ's example. Without Him we are nothing, and we must never forget that. But having a sovereign God doesn’t mean that I can sit in my chair and twiddle my thumbs either. I should be encouraged knowing my God has predestined my life and not be scared of persecution and charge out to the front lines! That is every Christian’s duty given to us by God. A battle field doesn’t even mean that we must go to an abortion mill; there are many battles around us. For example, the battle men primarily deal with, is lust. That is a spiritual battle on the very doorsteps of our soul, yet it’s one we find ourselves losing ground in every day. We must remain strong in faith, and pray for forgiveness when we fall, but always get back up and keep on fighting. There are plenty of ways in-which to fight as soldiers of God, the question is, will you rise up and charge for the front lines, or cower in fear of Satan, and let him win without putting up resistance?



I tell you dear reader to not let yourself fall without a fight! I plead with you to rise up! Look, Scripture doesn’t say we are not equipped! We have been given armor from God and refuge in His stronghold. He guides our souls and gives peace to those who ask. What are we to fear? What is to keep us back?



“For the Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any doubled-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12



And He has equipped us for “All scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.” 2 Timothy 3:16-17



“For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, being ready do punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete.” 2nd Corinthians 10:3-6



Scripture couldn’t be any more clear on the matter. We have been given by God the ability to wage war against the world, and do not be deceived, this world is at war with God and His people. Though at the Cross Christ won the decisive battle, the war carries on. And we must do what we are called as Christians to do. Fight for God, preach His Word. There was a good quote from Dr. R.C. Sproul Jr. on abortion and the world, and I’d like to share with you because it aids my point. He said, “The murder of babies is backburner, boring, banal, as common as sin. Darkness has come into the world and we perceive it not.” The world has accepted this murder yet how many of us truly cry out? For John Calvin said, “A dog barks when his master is attacked. I would be a coward if I saw that God's truth is attacked and yet would remain silent.” We mustn’t remain silent any more dear brothers and sisters. Not to this atrocious act of sin or any other, we must charge to the front lines of battle for Christ. John Piper couldn’t have said it any better. “It isn't sex by itself that makes abortion. It is sex plus covetousness: desiring things that God does not will for us to have because we are not willing to find our satisfaction in him. Illicit sex and unencumbered freedom without children: for these we covet, and abortion is the result. Christ died that we might live. This is the opposite of abortion. Abortion kills that someone might live differently.” I want to live my life differently, not in the way Piper means it, but in the sense that I want to change my actions and thoughts from that of an impassive person, to that of a warrior on fire for the Gospel. For Piper says again, “It is better to lose your life than to waste it.” Piper summarizes what Paul says in 2 Timothy 4:7 by saying. “I will not waste my life! I will finish my course and finish it well. I will display the Gospel of the grace of God in all I do. I will run my race to the end.” Are you wasting your life? Or are you on fire for Him? R.C. Sproul Sr. said that, “Our lives say much more about how we think than our books do. The theories we preach are not always the ones we actually believe. The theories we live are the ones we really believe.” So how are you living? Do your actions portray that of a Christian? Are you living a life that’s honoring to our creator?



A final point I want to reiterate before I go is this. A new worldwide popular game was released this past year called Mass Effect 3: Take Earth Back. It’s the end of a trilogy where the evil forces of the cosmos has besieged Earths defenses and slaughtered mankind until there were few left. Not only do these forces kill the humans, but the way they do is by impaling them with metallic rods meant to transform the dead humans into ferocious, mindless, monsters, blind to reality and bent to only destruction. The demonic armies hold Earth captive, and mankind is unable to save themselves from their doom. The hero, Commander Shepherd, comes back with an army with one purpose and one purpose only, to take Earth back. Shepherd is the savior with the skill, determination, will, and power to save mankind from their demise. This story, a video game, is not far off from the real world today, dear reader. Our world, planet Earth, is right now being held captive. Right now we are locked in a deathly spiritual battle against the Devil and his legion of demons. Satan has blinded man and controls them like the vile aliens in Mass Effect. Man is unable to save himself apart from Christ, and we are like the Space Marines. I do not mean it in the sense that we are the sole saviors of mankind, that title and position belongs to the Triune God. No, we as Christians, our Lord’s righteous warriors, are called to charge to the front lines, be the army behind Commander Shepherd, be the army of the Lord. We are called to battle Satan and his menacing armies in this cosmic battle over the salvation of mankind. We are called, to Take Earth Back.



“But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing. If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person’s religion is worthless.” James 1:22-26



So let me ask you this dear reader. Are you ready to do what God’s word says? Are you ready to join the cosmic fight over the salvation of the world for our Lord? Are you ready to protect those too weak to defend themselves? Are you ready to proclaim His name in a righteous fury and spread the Gospel? Or is it already, “Game Over,” for you?



“Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like me, be strong.” 1 Corinthians 16:13

3 comments: